Saturday, January 11, 2014

Oh Night Shift

This has been a rough week to say the least. Not only is AB on vacation, but I made the decision to pick up an extra shift last night and ended up working 4-12's in a row. I've done it before but the patients I had this time tested MY patience and by the time I got home this morning I was mentally and physically exhausted (not to mention my throat started hurting during the night). However, there were tornado watches being alerted for most of the day along with warnings for wind gusts up to 80 mph. I realized when I pulled in the driveway that the inflatable Christmas ornaments needed to come down ASAP and, even though it was raining, I managed to take down everything in our yard in about 15 minutes. That's impressive considering it took us 5 hours to put everything up (although I did leave the lights on the house; AB can do that when he gets back)!

Afterwards I got the dogs walked and fed, showered, then settled down on the couch with a cold beer to watch the last episode of American Horror Story: Coven. Despite my exhaustion I wasn't quite ready to lie down yet and the DVR is just overflowing with mindless goodies. By the end of the show I could hardly keep my eyes open so I headed up to bed. I always feel like the first day after my last shift is a complete waste of time; I'm always dead tired and I've never been able to only sleep for a couple hours in hopes of getting back to a "regular schedule". Needless to say, I slept on and off until 6pm, and have barely managed to accomplish anything since then. Sigh.

I have a few things to get done tomorrow, food being the most important since we're almost completely out (as are the pups). I'm also registered for an online GRE review class in the evening, and I have high hopes that it will refresh my knowledge of high school math (b/c nurse practitioners totally use geometry while providing patient care). I take the test in 3 weeks and of course the procrastinator in me has guaranteed that I am not ready. I also hope to get some spare time to visit with my family and check in with my in-laws, but I have a skills blitz on Monday and return to 3 in a row on Tuesday so I'm not too optimistic. I swear I worked less when I had a M-F 8-5 schedule than I do now; trying to switch back and forth between being awake all night and being awake all day is not easy on the body (or the waistline in my case)! But, as AB always says, at least we have jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.