Sunday, September 29, 2013

Camping

This past Thursday through today AB, the dogs, and I camped at the Julian Price Campground off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We managed to snag a fairly large and private campsite, which was helpful considering we took a large tent, canopy, and outhouse. That's right- my parents loaned us their outhouse tent complete with a Port-a-Potty. It's amazing how much more pleasant camping is when I don't have to hike to a bathhouse in the middle of the night. We also took our nifty new queen sized blow-up mattress and tent heater which means we were really roughing it for 4 days!







We were hoping to get a bunch of hiking in but needless to say, Thursday was a bust. AB and I both worked Wednesday night, and we drove straight up after work, so by the time we picked our site and got set up we had both been without sleep for 30+ hours. Fast forward to 1pm Friday which is when we finally woke up again (no kidding) and managed to hike the Price Lake Trail (2.5 miles) before settling ourselves in front of the campfire for the rest of the evening.







On Saturday we hiked my favorite trail of all time- from my childhood- the Boone Fork Trail. It starts at the campsite, elevates up through a canopy of trees, opens into rolling cow pastures, and then winds through the woods alongside the creek. There were more creek crossings and steep rocks than I remembered (and wooden ladders), but the dogs did surprisingly well despite their ages and with a little help they made it the entire 5+ miles. I was especially proud of Stetson- he kicked butt.






















After a short lunch AB and I loaded the dogs up in the car (okay, so they were half asleep anyways) and we drove to Blowing Rock. Back in elementary school I went there with a girl in my class whose dad lived there. She took me to an ice cream place that served blue ice cream, and I remember it being exceptionally good. I had told AB about that and he remembered enough to want to find me the ice cream...from 20+ years ago. Needless to say, we found the ice cream place (although a bit updated) along with a ton of other tourists, and behold, they had my blue ice cream! Not surprisingly, the name of the flavor was Blue Moon (also one of my favorite beers). We sat outside of the shop and enjoyed my blue ice cream for a bit, then purchased some scuppernong grapes, apples, and apple cider before heading back to the campground. The dogs promptly collapsed by the fire and stayed there until we turned in later that night.



This morning we packed up and hauled out, stopping at the Moses Cone Craft Shop and hiking the 1 mile loop at Trout Lake before heading back to Raleigh. We picked up stray kitty ie Draco on the way home (he was vaccinated and examined by a rescue group) and are now enjoying our massive amount of DVR'ed shows for the rest of the evening (after one of the best showers ever). Overall the trip was very fun; the campsite had everything we needed, the trails and weather were beautiful, and the dogs got some much needed exercise!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really great time. Some day we'll have to get together and do that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.