Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nursing & a Prompt

I've been struggling for things to write about recently and I think I can chalk it up to the fact that work is wearing me down, although not in a physical way. When I graduated nursing school I jumped straight into working in a PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) which meant that my contact with patients was limited to immediate post-surgical recovery. Wake them up, give them drugs, and send them away; no poop, no meal trays, and limited family drama. I developed an itch to try ICU nursing after a few years in PACU, partially because I had always heard that people either loved it or hated it and I wanted to find out for myself which group I'd fall in to. I left PACU this past April and started a job in an adult ICU at a different hospital. The new hospital is very clean and updated, they treat their nurses extremely well, and my coworkers are an incredibly awesome group of people. On the flip side, there's a lot of poop, retched smells, whacked out families, and ungrateful/non compliant patients filling my night time hours. Needless to say, the change has been taking a toll on me emotionally and I'm trying to figure some things out right now.

On a more upbeat note- I started the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD yesterday and am insanely sore today; maybe that means it's working?

Prompt: Think back to that first blog comment: how did you feel when it popped up on your computer screen? 

Actually, kind of ridiculous! I always feel that way when I look back over things I've written in the past; I think if I ever did manage to write a novel that I would hate it years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.