Saturday, June 22, 2013

Quinoa, Egg, & Avocado Bowl

I recently came across a recipe for a protein-packed bowl of goodness from Runner's World and decided to give it a try. The original recipe included roasted kale, but to be honest I prefer my kale in juice or as straight-out kale chips, so I omitted it. The remaining ingredients are quinoa, avocado, eggs, and some olive oil, and needless to say those provide plenty of protein and health benefits even without the kale. The modified recipe below is for 1 serving.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 eggs
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice
  • Sea salt
  • Pepper
Recipe:
  • Cook the 1/2 cup of quinoa according to the boxed instructions. The brand I bought was 1/2 cup quinoa to 1 cup water, bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until all water is absorbed. Keep in mind that the cooked amount is a good bit more than the dry amount you start with
  • Once the quinoa is done, toss in a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper to taste and stir well
  • Cut the 1/2 avocado into cubes and spread on top of the quinoa
  • Fry 1-2 eggs, leaving the yolk(s) runny, and put on top of the quinoa/avocado
  • Enjoy



**If you're not a big eater, use 1 egg instead of 2

4 comments:

  1. What the ???? Where on earth did you hear of Quinoa? Not only have we never seen it, we've never even heard of it. Also, after Googling it, supposedly it is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it??? I've been reading a lot about it in my different health magazines (shocker) but didn't try any until recently and was surprised by how much I liked it. I've always enjoyed rice but this stuff is even better, although a bit expensive. I think I'll be buying it from Costco in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's expensive, we'll never have it unless y'all serve it sometime when we're visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make you some next time we're all together Old Man ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.