Sunday, June 9, 2013

Being Artsy

A few weekends ago I finally mustered up the motivation to try a project I had found on Pinterest. My mom agreed to help (that assisted with the motivation issue) so while the weather was nice we hauled the supplies out and "got 'er done". I failed to take before and after pictures but basically, I bought the following supplies from Michael's:

  • 9 8x8" canvases
  • 3 bottles of acrylic paint- I chose red, orange, and yellow
  • 1 tube of white acrylic paint
  • 1 bottle of gloss medium
  • A couple of paint brushes
  • 1 small tipped squeeze bottle
  • A paint tray
We laid the canvases out in rows of 3x3. Starting at the bottom left, the first square was painted straight red. The next 2 squares moving diagonally up were red mixed with orange. The middle 3 squares diagonally were straight orange. The 2 squares going diagonally towards the top right were orange mixed with yellow, and the final top right square was straight yellow. Once those were dry, we went over them with gloss medium which helped make them less flat and dull looking. After another bit of time to dry, I mixed the white acrylic and some gloss medium in the squeeze bottle, pushed all the canvases back together in the order I wanted them, and squirted out a random pattern. It took the white paint a while to dry, but the squares were then separated and mounted on the wall 1" apart. It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen but I kind of like it!



3 comments:

  1. Its colorful, unique and yours! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually pretty damn awesome looking :) Now you should do one with warm colors (blue/green/purple).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.