Wednesday, May 22, 2013

100 Day Spending Fast

A few weeks ago my sister sent me a blog written by a couple who had done a year long "spending fast". While I think that going an entire year may be a little much for me, I have continually been tempted to try my own fast since reading their blog. Since AB and I both want to return to grad school, we've made the decision to try and pay off as much of our credit card debt as possible before doing so (mainly b/c he won't be able to work at all and I will be pushing it to stick to full time). I definitely have more debt than him so I'm going to attempt a modified 100-day spending fast of my own, just to see how it works for me (or doesn't). Based on the other blogger's guidelines, I have modified them to fit my needs.

My Needs (What I Can Spend Money On):
  • Rent & utilities
  • Car payment
  • Bills (credit cards, student loans, cell phone, insurance)
  • Food to make at home ie grocery store
  • Gas
  • Vet bills
  • Pet food and litter
  • Birthday gifts 
  • Medication
  • Doctor co-pays

My Wants (What I Cannot Spend Money On):
  • Alcohol
  • Gigi's cupcakes (and any other non-homemade cupcake)
  • Clothing/shoes/linens
  • Starbucks
  • Anything other than pet supplies from Amazon.com (my biggest weakness)
  • Movies
  • iTunes
  • Eating out
  • Magazine subscriptions
  • Housecleaning services

I plan on starting the fast on June 1st and ending it September 8th. While I don't buy that much extra every month, I'm hoping that cutting out a few things will enable me to save more and pay off more. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Are you using Quicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!! I want to know how this goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm game for maybe 30 days to try...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I considered Quicken but the reviews every year they updated it got progressively worse. Right now I have an Excel spreadsheet and once I'm done with this book (Total Money Makeover) I found a financial advisor for us to meet with. I tried to find an old version to buy but wasn't able to locate anything older than 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.