Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Personal Non-Race Record

Since January I've been doing the Couch-to-10K program on my iPhone. Needless to say, once I made it through week 8 (a 5K distance) my participation in said program has slowed down considerably. The first run in week 9 was a BIG jump up from the 30 minutes I had been running and honestly, I've pretty much stuck with running only 3-3.5 miles since then and working on speed rather than distance. The way I see it, the faster I run the less time I spend doing something I don't really enjoy.

Okay, something I don't enjoy at all.

I feel I've given running an honest shot at being something I would like to do and it doesn't work. I cannot figure out what is so pleasurable about running; is it the inability to form sentences due to breathlessness even after cross-training for months (my cardiologist found nothing wrong other than I'm prone to a crazy high HR)? The aching knees the next day despite fitted shoes and stretching? The sheer boredom of doing the same freaking thing for 30-40 minutes straight? All of the above?

Regardless, I'm sticking with the 3 miles because it's a nice number and I can still function afterwards (I bow to marathoners- no way in hell). With that being said, I've managed to decrease my pace from ~12:45 to, and this is super-impressive for me, 10:37/mile as of last night. I know, I know- that's still not very fast considering there are women out there who can run a mile in 6-8 minutes, but for a lazy, unmotivated person such as myself, it is AWESOME. I have redeveloped hope that I can one day run a 5K in under 25 minutes...hauling ass but ending the torture that much quicker. Plus, from what I've read, the faster you run the more calories you burn. Eat a cupcake, haul ass for 30 minutes, minimal weight gain; sounds perfect to me (and I'm totally being ignorant of the rest of that sentence which includes a risk of clogged arteries, diabetes, and strokes to name a few).

Happy running!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.