Thursday, February 7, 2013

Changes

While on vacation a few weeks ago, I read a book recommended by a coworker called "Feed Your Face" by Jessica Wu. It's directed towards people with all types of skin problems (mine being acne) and has suggestions for foods to try/cut out in an attempt to improve various conditions. When I got home I decided to give it a shot; I cut out ALL dairy, all white bread/pasta, and for the most part sugar (I also started running again with the C210K program). I don't know what's necessarily working or not, but I have to say that my energy has been higher this past week and I have felt AWESOME (ok, and my skin is nice and smooth so far too). I miss ice cream and Gigi's but this has been great! I've also noticed that I'm not as bloated, which is a bonus considering I felt like I was carrying a melon around in my lower abdomen all the time.


 I also came across something interesting at the store last week- coconut sugar. Who knew coconuts were sweet? Actually, they're not. The sugar is taken from the flower of the coconut tree. According to the company "Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar is a delicious, pure, unrefined alternative to processed sugar and artificial sweeteners. The sustainably grown, Non-GMO Project Verified sweetener is produced from the flower bud of the coconut tree. In addition to tasting delicious, organic coconut sugar has naturally occurring nutrients including magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, B vitamins, and amino acids". When I first opened the package I thought- hmmm, this stuff is brown and flaky looking. Then I tried it. It was GOOD. I put it in my coffee and tea and it tasted just as if I had used regular sugar (it didn't have that funky fake sugar taste). I showed the website to a super vegan friend at work, and even she seemed impressed and decided to give it a shot. It seems like a nice alternative to people who want to give up white sugar but not consume a lot of processed fake crap.
Last but not least, I added a probiotic to my daily vitamins. WARNING: TMI COMING. I have been having bowel "issues" for months now (gas, diarrhea, cramping, overall ickiness) and in addition to changing my diet, this is a last ditch effort to improve things before giving in and going to see a physician. I've heard both good and bad things about probiotics (the main one being the possibility of worsening acne) but I thought it might be best to try and see for myself. I've had acne for my entire adult life; what's a few more zits?

1 comment:

  1. I tried probiotics and they made my acne worse. And since I still nurse Laird, I discovered that it was passing through to him and giving him rashes on his face. As soon as I stopped...my acne cleared up and his rashes went away. So good luck to you with that :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.