Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Kale Chips, Moving, & Running

I've heard many good reviews about kale chips so I decided to try making some of my own. I found a recipe on Food Network that was insanely basic (I need basic, I'm not a good cook), bought some organic kale from Earth Fare, and dug out our salad spinner.

First I cut the stems off...
Washed and dried the kale using our nifty spinner...
Then spread the leaves out on parchment paper and drizzled with olive oil...
The leaves went into the over at 275 for 20 min (stirring once after 10 min) and came out nice and crispy...
I sprinkled some sea salt on them right after cooking and the verdict? They taste AWESOME yet smell like total crap when being cooked. I thought the funky smell was coming from one of the dogs but no, it was the baking kale. I will definitely be making these again in the future although I'm not sure AB would be into them (baby steps).

While cooking the kale I stuffed my face with scuppernong grapes. My dad's family used to have a small vineyard with these grapes by the Pamlico River and I remember loving to eat them as a kid. Needless to say, they're just as good now...
Since stopping the Whole 30, I've been able to run every other day without any issues. I started doing some calf raises and squats, so my legs are sore right now, but at least I'm still progressing. I spoke to several coworkers today who have agreed to run the Color Me Rad 5K with me in October and I'm looking forward to not having to run alone! I still absolutely despise running, but it is the easiest and cheapest way to get in shape while still destroying my knees for the [distant] future.

AB and I are still contemplating our move next year; I think we're pretty much narrowed down to Colorado or Oregon. Alaska is just to far (especially for our older pets), Vancouver BC is too expensive (and there's the whole work visa thing), and Utah...well, AB isn't big on me having brother husbands. I keep saying we'll go where the jobs are but the area in Colorado we're considering is SO PRETTY! Sigh.


1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.