Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Personal enlightenment for a lazyass

I was an incredibly active person throughout childhood, but once I got to college things went down hill quickly. I gained 30 pounds, I lost 30 pounds, I gained 25 pounds, I lost 20 pounds, I gained 35 pounds, and so on. My adult life has been a cycle of eating too much, exercising too little, feeling bad about the weight gain, dropping the weight really quickly, and then gaining it back months later. I’m in the health care field and I know what proper nutrition and exercise can do for a person, but to be honest, I am simply lazy.

I have an addiction to Facebook despite having a love-hate relationship with it, and I’ve been noticing how many of my friends are running 5k’s, half marathons, and full marathons now- and some of these people are bigger, slower, and lazier than I am. Motivation #1. On top of that realization, I feel fatigued all of the time. My doctor thinks it may be atypical depression (since I’m not actually sad about anything) but I’m leaning more towards the fact that I’m lazy, I hate exercising, and I love eating…and not healthy food. I need my energy back. Motivation #2. I read magazines in which the woman are active, healthy, and in shape and I’m jealous- mainly because I want to look like that and I know that I could (again) if I actually made the effort. Motivation #3.

On top of everything, both my husband and I have been packing on the pounds since moving in together. We bitch and moan about feeling fat and our pants not fitting, and then we order pizza. I’m tired of the cycle, and I want to look at magazines like “Self” and “Fitness” and feel awesome because I too look in shape rather than feeling super-chubby and disappointed with myself. Hence, my road to becoming healthy and fit again.

I have signed up for a 5K next March; I know that’s a long ways away, but with the holidays coming I know that if I set my goal for sooner I’d likely fail. I also have a crazy work schedule at the hospital and there are days when I just don’t have the energy to do anything but eat, walk the dogs, and sleep. About 2 weeks ago I went out and ran a mile. One full mile, without stopping (and yes, with warming up and cooling down). It took me almost 20 minutes but for the first time in 13 years (since my senior year in high school) I knew for a fact that my body is still capable of running a short distance. Since then I have managed to run a mile in 13 minutes, and tonight I ran 1.25 miles in 18 minutes. I am fully aware of how slow a runner that makes me, but I’m trying. I have set goals for the end of each month, and hopefully by March I can do the entire 3+ miles without stopping to walk. It does take some extra motivation to go out in the freezing cold (because it KILLS my lungs) but that’s part of the reason I'm sharing on this blog- whether people read it or not it holds me accountable to SOMEONE. Here’s giving it a shot!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be SOMEONE :) Wish I had the motivation to run. I nejoy walking, though. It sucks out here because it's cold AND wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At some point you'll realize that it's not just lazy... you're getting OLD!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!! Run, walk, whatever gets you going and I think you look great already- so there!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.