Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Water for Elephants"

I ended up really enjoying this book; I wasn't a fan of Sara Gruen's other books (all horse-related if I remember correctly) but she definitely pulled things together for this one. Supposedly she wrote it during NaNoWriMo (Nat'l Novel Writing Month- participants try to write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days) which is pretty impressive since I couldn't write more than 2000 when I attempted it a few years ago. So as not to ruin the story for anyone else who wants to read it, the book is based around a traveling train circus occurring back during the Depression. The main character drops out of vet school at Cornell after his parents suddenly die and joins the circus, becomes the unlicensed vet for the menagerie, and falls in love with his boss' wife. The book brought about quite a few emotions (hey, I'm an animal person so beating an elephant with a hook isn't my cup of tea) but in the end I was won over. I definitely recommend it.

After finishing the above, I started on Suzanne Collins' "The Hunger Games" and am currently making my way though the first of three books. So far, I'm really enjoying this one too (maybe I'm not picky enough???)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.