Saturday, April 9, 2011

Long week

Although I only worked 3 12-hour shifts, it felt like a long week because they were so spread apart. I admit that I don't mind the job, but I am tired of the commute (when I work a 9a-9p I spend 1.5 hours sitting in traffic to get there) and I definitely know that I'd like to return to grad school sooner rather than later! Below are a few of the things I learned over the past week:
  • People's perceptions of pain are definitely different than how I view my own, but I treat theirs the best I can. Patients are usually asked to rate their pain from 0-10 with 10 being the worst ever, and often I have patients tell me 10/10 while they fall asleep and start snoring. I can't sleep when I'm in excruciating pain but hey, if you want more Fentanyl then don't let me stop you from getting it.
  • When patients come out of anesthesia, they actually DO have to be told to breathe. It's such an odd thing; I'm still getting used to it.
  • When patients have nerve blocks and can't feel ANYTHING below the block, they freak out. I would probably do the same. But sometimes I wish that they'd trust that I'm not going to let their foot fall off. If I did I'd lose my job...so they're pretty safe with that one.
  • Ketamine is a drug used during anesthesia. I also used it to euthanize lab animals. Obviously it's not used for human euthanasia but it does cause some crazy side effects...like hallucinations. Most of my patients coming off of ketamine become temporary schizophrenics. It's not pretty although sometimes entertaining.
  • I still can't handle vomit. Especially projectile.
  • I'm thankful I'm not a floor nurse. I have patients for a few hours, long enough to get them awake, breathing, and their pain under control, and then I pass them off to an actual floor nurse to take care of them. It's fabulous, especially if they're bitchy or rude.
  • I definitely want to go to grad school. Time to start studying for the GRE.

1 comment:

  1. I bet you I'll be rating my pain 10/10 here pretty soon! That sucks.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.