Saturday, March 19, 2011

Random Updates

Not much has been going on aside from working and sleeping, so unfortunately I don't have much exciting to share! I'm leaning away from writing about work because there's too much risk of getting in trouble for something silly (patient confidentiality mainly) no matter how much one tries to be shady and secretive. For those that are interested, here's a few updates:
  • My job is okay. I was expecting to get a little more guidance from the nurse training me but she seems to be more of a "sit back and wait until I ask for help" type. It's good because it forces me to figure things out on my own, however it's also bad because I didn't come to this job with a history of high quality hands-on clinical experiences. And as Alister said, I don't seem to like the responsibility. One of my professors in nursing school pretty much scared me into thinking I'm going to screw up and get sued in the first year so I'm super-paranoid to do anything. Not a great quality for a nurse but then again at least no one is going to get worse by my hands.
  • I woke up yesterday with a swollen throat that was so painful I couldn't swallow for a few hours. Since I didn't have a fever and there's no white "stuff" hanging around on my tonsils, I'm assuming it's just a viral sore throat and not strep/tonsillitis, so I've been taking a lot of Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Sudafed, Claritin, and throat lozenges. Sadly for me, I woke up again today with the same pain. I'm just going to keep drinking fluids, resting, and drugging myself though because I refuse to spend money to see a doctor and have them tell me what I already know. There's nothing they can really do for a virus anyways.
  • I'm headed to Greenville tomorrow to spend time with Alister, get some mail, and possible de-winterize the boat. It depends on how I'm feeling though...I go back to work on Tuesday and can't be coughing all in my patient's faces (and the masks make me claustrophobic).
  • I've cared for several patients who have had kidney stones surgically removed and I feel their pain. It's also scared me into trying to follow the low calcium-oxalate diet my urologist prescribed to me many years ago that I've been ignoring. On the flip side, a low oxalate diet doesn't support being a vegetarian so I'm going to have to make a few important choices. On the plus side, milk doesn't have oxalate so I can keep drinking it to my heart's content (gotta prevent that osteoporosis as much as possible).
  • Alex and Kris are enjoying being in Washington although I think the weather may be too much for Alex to deal with for the rest of her life. The family has spent quite a few nights on Skype though so I'm thankful someone came up with the idea. I think Alex and my dad enjoy it the most; Dad was giving Kris suggestions on some home improvement things WHILE Kris was doing them.
  • My mom and I started running- and she's done a good job sticking to it- but when I don't get home until 8pm and I go to bed at 10pm, it's been hard for me to find time to do it on work days. I was hoping this weekend would work out to do some barefoot running but I can't justify exercising when my throat is so swollen I have trouble swallowing (it's a shame that breathing and eating go together sometimes).
  • We also celebrated Alister's 30th birthday last week at The Melting Pot. I forget how much I love fondue until I have some more, although in the future I think I'll stick to cheese and chocolate without all the courses in between!

1 comment:

  1. Very true...I hate the weather :( Let's just say we'll only be here as long as the Army makes us! And I love Skype. I could spend hours on that thing. Once Baby Fetus is here I'm sure we'll be on it more :P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.