Thursday, March 10, 2011

Barefoot running

My mom and I decided yesterday to try getting in shape by running. We're both quite out of shape at the moment, so we're following one of those "Beginner's Guides to Training for a 5K" which starts out with walk/run intervals to slowly build up your stamina. I know so many friends who have lost a big chunk of weight through running, and after buying a size 12 dress the other day (gasp! I'm usually an 8) I'm turning to drastic measures (drastic b/c I personally despise running). However, I've also heard a lot about barefoot/minimalist running, which is supposed to be better for your body in general. Supposedly running shoes are so large and bulky that they cause you to run in an "unnatural way" which is what can lead to shin splints, heel spurs, etc. My brother in law also runs long distances in his barefoot running shoes and loves them, so I'm going to trust him and give it a shot.

I went and got me a pair of Vibram 5 Finger shoes and am going to rotate between them and my actual Adidas running shoes until I break myself in to them. The shoe salesman and my BIL both told me that I'll be really sore b/c you use completely different muscles for minimalist running as opposed to what most people do, and since I work 12 hour shifts I have to be able to walk! Today is going to be my first day trying them so for anyone interested, I'll update later on down the road and let you know if I stuck with them or not.

The new shoes (ugly, but actually confortable so far):

1 comment:

  1. Okay, just kidding...those AREN'T the Vibrams I tried; mine didn't have the elastic pull-type laces for the front. I actually haven't seen these before! Hopefully they'll work though. I might eventually try running, but that's a little bit down the road. We're getting a jogging stroller though, so I can even take Baby Fetus along :P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.