Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bad Drivers: Biggest Pet Peeve...EVER

Dear Drivers:

I hate driving. You may love it, but it is one of my least favorite things in the world to do. Unfortunately, I have to do it every day in order to make a living for myself. With that being said, there are a few simple things that I ask of you; things that not only reduce stress and road rage but may also make the driving experience a bit safer.

1. If I am already going 10 miles OVER the speed limit, please do not tailgate me...especially when there are 3 other lanes wide open.

2. If it is dark outside and there are other cars around, turn your brights OFF. No, not ON, blinding people and causing them to have floaters for several minutes after passing you. OFF. O-F-F. Especially when you're riding behind someone and even more especially when you're in a truck riding behind a sedan. Just turn them off.

3. If you insist on speeding in heavy traffic, and therefore weaving b/c no one else is moving as fast as you, be kind and use a turn signal to at least let the car next to you know that you're about to miss their front bumper by 2 inches.

4. Trucks are big and scary and they tend to not care about vehicles that are smaller than them. Most of the patients I met during my substance abuse clinicals were truck drivers; no joke. That being said, many truck drivers are running off very little sleep and a whole lot of something else that's probably illegal...so be careful around them. Please don't trap me next to one. Please don't slam on your breaks directly in front of one, b/c they tend to swerve into other lanes of traffic whether there is someone in that lane or not. I'm usually the person in that lane.

5. It would be nice if you not "gun it" to get in front of me, and then slow down. That's rude. Get behind me if you're going to drive slower than me.

6. If you're driving the same speed as or slower than the car next to you, you best not be in the left lane. SLOW TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT. That means if you're SLOWER than the traffic around you, get in the RIGHT lane. Just saying.

7. Texting while driving is illegal. I can see you drifting between lanes up ahead of me with your phone jacked up at eye level over the steering wheel. It's not safe. People die b/c others text and go 80mph on a highway. If it's that important, use your bluetooth and call. Or wait until you get where you're going. If it's a huge emergency, call an ambulance. Duh, 911.

8. Your cat/dog/baby doesn't belong in the front seat and if you're paying more attention to the aforementioned three then you're not paying enough attention to the road.

9. If your car has cruise control, and you're on the highway sans traffic, for the love of God, please use it. You may like going fast/slow/fast/slow/fast/brake/slow/fast but the other people around you want to pull you out of your car and beat you with a stick.

10. Wear your seat belt. We're all going 80 mph and if you're doing any of the above 9 things, then a seat belt may be the only thing to save your ass when something happens.

Although I have numerous other suggestions, these are the highlights. Thanks for reading even though absolutely nothing is going to change.

Yours truly,
The scared-to-death white girl in the small sedan gripping the steering wheel with white knuckles

2 comments:

  1. All of the above are exactly why I stay off the interstates and only drive the back roads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet I know who "Anonymous" is :P

    I agree with all of your requests. I guess it's a good thing that Kris and I only own one car and he is the one that drives it the majority of the time!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.