Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl "stuff" (lots of videos)

Last night I watched the Superbowl (along with half of America) and found myself disappointed in both the commercials and the half-time show. What about the teams? you may be asking. Honestly I don't give a rat's a$$ about the teams, and that goes for every professional sports team! I maintain the position that until nurses, teachers, enlisted soldiers, firefighters, and cops are paid even remotely as much as these athletes that I will have nothing to do in terms of supporting any of them. Besides, aside from equestrian 3-day eventing, I've never found sports to be all that much enjoyable to watch (to play is a different story). Whatever void exists in my life, it's not one that can be filled by overpaid athletes chasing each other around with balls or sticks.
As for the commercials, I remember in years past that they were funny. I think I maybe had a chuckle for 2 or 3 of them the entire night; some of them I couldn't even figure out what they were advertising (or what a trailer was depicting the movie to be about).  I was able to pick out a few favored ones to share though:

Dorito's House Sitting:
Volkswagon Darth Vader:
Pepsi MAX Love Hurts:
Transformers 3:

I felt let down by the lack of Budweiser Clydesdale commercials in particular though; in previous years I watched the Superbowl just to see them! In fond remembrance of them, I'm adding a few of my all-time favorites on here just so the horses still get a touch of the spotlight:

Budweiser World Trade Center commercial; aired only once so people would not claim the company tried to make money from the tragedy:
Budwesier Clydesdale Donkey:
Budweiser Snow Fight:
Budweiser 2006 Superbowl Commercial:

Last but not least...the halftime show. I'm actually a fan of the Black Eyed Peas (occasionally) but, seriously, WTF was that? Maybe next year we can try less to act like we've been transported into the movie Tron (minus good acoustics) and more to put James Taylor back on the stage with a plain old guitar. You just cannot do a production like that in 30 minutes or less including set-up time. Halftime Show fail. Oh, and congratulations Redskins! No?

1 comment:

  1. So OK, it's been awhile since I had a chance to catch up on blogs .. but have to say ... I so TOTALLY agree with your assesment on all counts. Would like to add, however ... what's a bieber??? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.