Saturday, February 19, 2011

Books and such

Because I'm a tad ADD, I tend to read several books at a time. Recently I finished reading "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks and "Dead in the Family" by Charlaine Harris. In the meantime, I'm still working on "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman and "The New Becoming Vegetarian".

"Safe Haven" actually ended up being one of my more favorite books by Sparks. I'm always a sucker for "The Notebook" but after a while, I felt like his books were all based on 1. a couple falling in love too quickly and 2. one person in the couple meeting an untimely death. I was hesitant to read "Safe Haven" but was pleased to discover that 1. the couple in the book takes a while to fall in love and 2. that neither of them die in the end. It was also less of a "girly" read and more of just an overall enjoyable fiction book based in Southport, NC. If anyone is looking for an easy read with interesting characters, I recommend "Safe Haven".

The second book, "Dead in the Family" is book #10 in the Sookie Stackhouse vampire series. I loved the other 9, and flew through them rather quickly, but had to wait almost a year for this one to be published. I was looking forward to reading it, but found myself slightly disappointed; it seemed like the author had just thrown together a book because she felt she needed to write another rather than sticking to a [reasonably] solid storyline. Despite that, it was still an addicting read. I got my sister hooked on them before she moved to Washington and I think she completed the entire series in half the time I did.

As for the two I'm currently working on, "The World Without Us" is an interesting book, but at times can be hard to get through. It's a non-fiction based on several theories of what might happen if human beings just disappeared completely off of the planet. The research and theories are fascinating; it's just that the scientific parts tend to drag for me and I have to force myself to keep going. I'm glad someone recommended it to me though- I need to broaden my non-fiction reading horizons.

The other book I keep switching to is (surprise!) about becoming a vegetarian. I managed to give up meat for one year back in college, but folded in front of a juicy T-bone. This time I don't intend to give up all meat, just pork and red meat (semi-vegetarian) in an attempt to 1. be healthier and 2. actually do something about my love and compassion for animals...ie not eat them. It's ironic that I started reading this book last week because, during my health check at Duke, I discovered that my fasting blood sugar and cholesterol have gotten high. Really high. Unhealthy high. In addition to cutting out some meat, I'm lowering my intake of sugar to the Food Pyramid recommended amount of 22g/day and have stopped eating white pasta, white rice, and white bread (luckily I find whole grain just as good). It will definitely take a while for me to transition over, but I have the knowledge to be healthier so I need to get off my lazy, stubborn ass and actually do it!

2 comments:

  1. You know what PETA stands for?

    People Eating Tasty Animals

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never join PETA (the real one)...those people are nuts; they used to picket outside the labs at Duke. I'm all for animal rights but they're overkill. And I have no intention of giving up fried turkey!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.