Sunday, January 30, 2011

Minimizing and organizing

Today begins the week in which I plan to minimize and organize my life. I've been putting it off for years, but now that I'm done with school (for now) and don't work for several more weeks, I can't find any other excuses. My goal is to throw away and/or donate at least 50% of my belongings and then organize the remaining 50% so that I can find things when I need them; this especially applies to financial-related items which seem to always go missing.

This week is also the time when I need to get my Weight Watchers more on track. Last week while I was traveling I completely blew off my points and the result was an obvious gain in weight, which is so not the idea behind joining WW in the first place! My elliptical has also spent months gathering dust and serving as a glorified coat rack, so that's something that needs to change too. My 31st birthday is coming up and the way I see it, if I'm not going to have kids then I shouldn't look like I have.

I'm also continuing to enjoy having time to read. I didn't do much last week due to other things going on, but last night I started reading "The World Without Us" by Alan Wesiman. It was recommended to me by one of my mom's coworkers and it sounded like a fascinating book, so I'll let everyone know how I liked it (or not).

Speaking of, I thoroughly enjoyed recently reading "Horse Soldiers" by Doug Stanton and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys non-fiction and/or military-type books. It's about several Special Forces ODA's (along with some Air Force and CIA) who were sent to Afghanistan right after 9/11 to help some of the local tribes push back the Taliban from the lands they had taken. The only catch was, the SF soldiers had to do it on horseback (and we're not talking Thoroughbreds). I'm not usually a big non-fiction fan, but I LOVED this book and, as the cliche goes, actually had trouble putting it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.