Friday, May 21, 2010

Work

This week was my first almost-full week of work at the hospital, and what I've learned is that I'm a HUGE wimp. I worked 2 13-hour shifts in a row and honestly, by the end of the day, I thought I was dying. No joke. I don't think my legs or feet have ever hurt that bad in my entire life and now begins the search for a comfortable pair of shoes. After the first 13 hour shift I limped home, took a hot bath, drank a martini, and went to bed. The second day, I limped home and went straight to bed; I had no energy left to do anything else! Moral of the story? I'm a wimp and I'm not physically designed to be a nurse. That's my excuse.

On the plus side, I really like the other people on my unit and all of the (too many) patients I had were awesome; super friendly and very understanding. In fact, at the end of my last 13 hour shift I was emptying a hemovac (drains blood from a wound), had a muscle twitch (hey, I wasn't getting my usual 12 hours of sleep a night), spilled blood all over the guy's blanket, and said "son of a bitch" quite loudly. Luckily the guy was my age, covered in tattoos and piercings, and laughed it off telling me not to worry about it. I was thankful it wasn't someones grandpa. Seriously.

Next week will be another story; I work 3 13-hour shifts and until my nifty Crocs nursing shoes arrive I'm feeling that there will be a lot of Ibuprofen in my future. Sigh.

Just to add...I am very thankful that I even have a job. I'm just whining while I adjust!

1 comment:

  1. I like the whole "son of a bitch" part because...I'm pretty sure I can picture and hear you saying that! And crocs are good. All nurses wear crocs or some form of clog (I think Clarks).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.