Friday, January 22, 2010

Finally...

...it's the weekend again. I think the schedule I have for this semester is going to be incredibly wearing on me; I don't feel like I got jack for sleep the past week yet the last thing I NEED to do is sleep all weekend to "catch up" (since technically it doesn't work that way anyways). Since I didn't have time to write on here during the week...

Tuesday I had my psych clinicals at an actual mental hospital. It was an eye-opening experience to say the least. I had read about schizophrenics when I took abnormal psych many, many years ago but to see it, actively, everywhere in front of me, was fascinating. I started clinical that morning being more nervous than anything else, and finished it feeling thankful for what I have and surprisingly sad for the people that are suffering such a horrible illness. I'll never call schizophrenics "crazy" again; they really are mentally ill and most of them want nothing more than to be better and not be so different from the people around them. Okay, well I have no sympathy for the serial rapists and molestors that were there, but for the most part it was just people dealing with the illness they're suffering from themselves.

Wednesday I had my med-surg clinical at the hospital and that was, well, okay it wasn't what I thought it would be. It was more of an orientation day, and although I felt that was helpful, I was also a little disappointed in the lack of things we were able to do that day. I had patients, yet I didn't, yet I did. I actually don't really know. I do know that I'm not looking forward to going back next week when, as my instructor said, she plans on throwing us out there like the Atlantic Ocean. Yes, because I want a lost and confused nursing student taking care of my family members in the hospital. Sigh.

Thursday I was in classes pretty much from 8am until 6pm. By the time I got home all I wanted to do was fall asleep. Needless to say, by Thursday I hadn't had the energy to shred in 3 days. No wonder my weight isn't going down and my pants still aren't fitting any better!

Today I had class again in the morning and we had the pleasure of a speaker come to our psych class to talk to us about addiction. She's an RN who has lost her licensure twice because of drug addiction (narcotics) and is now again working as an RN having been clean for several years. According to statistics, 1 in 5 nurses will have an addiction of some kind during their career. Well isn't that reassuring.

After class I met my Dad at home and we went to a nice lunch at Olive Garden (chicken gnochi soup...4 stars) before heading back to school for my scholarship ceremony. I received the Nursing Alumni Scholarship ($2500) for this school year and they finally got around to recognizing the students who received money from various sources (better late than never). Afterwards my Dad headed back to Raleigh and I promptly fell sound asleep. I had managed to drag through the week without sneaking any naps and the end result was passing out for 3 hours today and not even realizing it. I know, I sound lazy. Cut me a break though, I'm old.

Tomorrow I start the interview process for the nurse externship at PCMH next summer. I'm concerned there won't be many positions open due to budget cuts and the economy (and the fact that there are over 100 students competing for them), but I'm really hoping I can get one of the spots. I need the experience, not to mention the money, before graduation. All I can do is put my best foot forward though, so I'll see where that gets me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.